See.Sense (United Kingdom) - Whether you’re cycling to work for your morning commute, you’re running errands to the local shop, or you’re an avid biker looking for your next adventure, every cyclist benefits from having an efficient bike light to make them visible on the roads, day and night.
After all, daylight running lights have been mandatory for all new cars in the UK and EU since 2011, so why should bikes be any different?
However, with an ever expanding market, there’s a lot of choice when it comes to buying a bike light. Which one is the right one for you? What features do you need or want? Will it keep you safe?
That’s why the team here at See.Sense have devised a handy quiz so that you can decide which light best suits your needs!
Keep track of which number most applies to you throughout our questions so that you can match up which light might suit you best at the end…
Question 1) Where are you going?
- Most of the time, I’m taking my bike to familiar spots - my favourite cafe, the local shop to pick up some bits and bobs. They’re only quick trips on routes that I’m quite comfortable with
- I use my bike to commute to work! I’ve figured out the best route for me to get to the office and take the same one almost everyday (though it does sometimes change depending on traffic)
- Anywhere and everywhere! I like to explore on my bike and mix up my destination by trying out new routes! Everyday is a bit of an adventure, but it means that my surroundings can be unfamiliar…
Question 2) When are you going?
- Normally, I head out on my errands during the day, so the roads are generally well-lit. However, sometimes they can be busy due to daytime traffic
- As a commuter, I’m usually on my bike during rush hour early in the morning and later in the evenings. Depending on the time of year, this can lead to it being quite dark out whilst I'm on the roads. This is particularly difficult during rush hour when the roads are so busy
- I go whenever I feel like it! This can be early in the morning, in the middle of the day on my days off, and sometimes in the evenings as well. Sometimes, I lose track of time on my adventures and I find myself out quite late, leaving me cycling in the dark
Question 3) Why are you going?
- I’m out on my bike because it’s a convenient way of getting around. Most of my trips are short, so there’s no point in using a car for them
- My bike is a necessity. It gets me to and from work, and it allows me to get a bit of fitness into my day. I also find that I can bypass a lot of congestion on the roads by commuting by bike, meaning that I can leave a bit later in the morning, and get home to my loved ones earlier in the evening
- I’m on my bike to discover the unknown and get a fix of adrenaline!
It’s time for the results…
The Errand Runner:
The routes you’re taking are familiar and well-lit. You’re comfortable on your journey, but there is always reason to make sure you’re taking every step you can to stay protected on the roads.
In your case, we recommend our ICON3 rear light. As our newest model, not only does this smart light allow you to stay seen day and night, but its smart features such as Theft Alerts allow you to keep your bike safe whilst you’re in the shop or enjoying a coffee in the cafe.
Being on your bike is a matter of practicality. You’re hopping on your bike just as the roads are filling up with evening and morning traffic. You don’t have the time for unnecessary drama on your journey - you need to get from A to B. Therefore, you need to stay visible in the busy traffic so that you can get where you’re going on time.
For you, we recommend the ICON3 set. By investing in our set, you’ll be visible from both front and back when gliding by the traffic on bike lanes. You can also access additional features such as the Get Me Home Mode. If you’re working a busy schedule and don’t have the time to worry about charging your bike light, this feature will notify you if your battery levels drop below 20%, and adapts your light to shine for at least 1 more hour. What’s more, our lights usually only need to be charged once a week, meaning much less chance of being caught out during your commutes.
The Adrenaline Junkie:
You’re an adrenaline junkie and a risk taker - there’s nothing wrong with that, but you have to make sure you stay safe while pursuing that thrill!
For our tried adventurer, we recommend taking all safety precautions possible. Our Beam / Beam + lights are perfect for exploring unfamiliar routes and unlit areas. Go out and explore those unknown tracks with a powerful, connected front light, designed to adapt its brightness to your ride to increase your visibility. The Beam and Beam+, like our other lights, also comes with access to Crash Alerts, a feature that notifies your emergency contact in the event of a crash, giving peace of mind for those at home, and to you, whilst you explore those new and exciting routes.
Of course, the answers above aren’t exhaustive; feel free to mix and match between your See.Sense lights as you need. Luckily, all of our lights come with the smart light connected features mentioned above, and a range of others such as Ride Stats that help you to keep track of your cycling progress. This is all thanks to our Sense App that allows you to control your light remotely and get the most out of your cycling experience.
You can explore our full range of See.Sense smart lights, as well as a bunch of other biking accessories and goodies on our online.