UAE Team Emirates (Italy) - Press Release: UAE Team Emirates’ Fernando Gaviria won the third stage of the Giro d’Italia after Viviani relegation.
Despite actually crossing the line in second, Gaviria took home the stage win following a decision by race officials to relegate Elia Viviani (Deceuninck – Quick Step) after he was deemed to have impeded an opponent in the final sprint.
There was nothing to separate the peloton as they came into the final kilometres in a large bunch, but with riders wrestling to get into a good position, there was an unfortunate crash at just 3km from the finish; fortunately the key contenders for the stage win were not involved. Ahead of a tricky and narrow chicane just one kilometre out, Gaviria held his position and came into the closing 500 metres on the wheel of one of his fellow riders, before launching his attack. The win – Gaviria’s fifth career Giro d’Italia stage victory – also puts the Colombian top of the Points Classification.
Stage Three Results:
1. Fernando Gaviria (UAE Team Emirates) – 5:23:19
2. Arnaud Demare (Groupama-FDJ) – s.t.
3. Pascal Ackermann (Bora-hansgrohe) – s.t.
General Classification Standings:
1. Primoz Roglic (Team Jumbo-Visma) – 10:21:01
2. Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) – “19
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain Merida) – “23
13. Diego Ulissi (UAE Team Emirates) – “50