Specialized (United States) - Press Release: Introducing the Demo 29. New chassis, new suspension kinematics, new geometry, and yeah, new wheel size. Full-gas. Full-fast.
Less Hang-Up. More Speed:
Square-edged impacts slow you down by causing your rear wheel to momentarily hang-up on impact. The impact your suspension should be absorbing is, instead, transferred to you. You get pummeled, and you go slower. By giving the Demo 29 a more rearward axle path, we’ve minimized that rear wheel hang-up. It’s instant speed.
Greater Control While Braking:
Imagine: You grab a handful of brake, your weight pitches forward, and your rear wheel loses traction precisely when you need to be low, centered, and in charge. We’ve built-in just the right amount of anti-rise on the Demo, so when you need to come to a quick stop, you stay stable and in control.
Shaped by the Fastest Riders on Earth:
When races are won and lost by fractions of a second, riders get particular about their bikes. Which explains why we spent years field-testing prototypes and nerd’ing out on the R&D. It might seem excessive, but when your R&D team has some of the best riders on earth, you listen. They know fast.
Even Faster on Pedaling Sections:
The Demo 29 converts every bit of your pedaling power into speed. The bike’s new kinematics allow for just the right amount of anti-squat. Or to put a finer point on it, you crank on the pedals and the new Demo rips forward. No bobbing around. No slowing you down.
Planted and Confident:
Low is fast. That is, a low center of gravity makes you more stable at high speeds. The Demo 29’s new linkage places shock mass as low and forward on the frame as possible, giving the bike both an ideal axle path and an incredibly planted and confident feel.
Maximum Rear Suspension Durability:
The Demo 29’s new shock linkage not only places weight low on the frame, it also enabled us to isolate the rear shock from side-loads, which reduces wear and tear on the shock. What’s more, the Demo 29’s trunnion-mount shock features extra bushing overlap, which further boosts longevity.
We specifically designed the Demo 29’s geometry to create a ride that’s both fast and playful. The bike’s shorter head tube keeps handlebar height in the sweet spot, while its 350mm bottom bracket height strikes a nice balance between cornering control and ground clearance.
- Chain SRAM PC1110 w/ Powerlink™
- Bottom Bracket SRAM DUB, 83mm
- Crankset SRAM Descendant, DUB, alloy, Direct mount ring, 165mm, 34T
- Shift Levers SRAM GX DH, trigger, 7-speed
- Cassette SRAM GX DH, 7-speed, 11-24t
- Chainrings 34T
- Rear Derailleur SRAM GX DH, 7-speed, trigger
- Fork RockShox BoXXer Select 29, DebonAir spring, Charger RC damper w/ adjustable low-speed compression, adjustable rebound, short crown, 20x110mm thru-axle, 56mm offset, 200mm of travel
- Rear Shock RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Select Plus, low-speed compression adjust, external rebound adjust, Trunnion mount, 225x75
- Front Hub Specialized disc, alloy flange & disc mount, sealed cartridge bearings, 20x110mm thru-axle, 28h
- Rear Hub Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
- Inner Tubes Standard, Presta valve
- Spokes DT Swiss Industry
- Rims Roval 29" Alloy DH, 28mm internal width, 28h
- Front Tire Butcher BLCK DMND, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.6"
- Rear Tire Butcher BLCK DMND, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3"
- Saddle Body Geometry Henge DH, hollow Cro-Mo rails, 130mm
- Seatpost Specialized, 6061 alloy, 2-bolt clamp, 0mm setback, 30.9mm
- Stem Specialized Direct Mount DH Stem, two-piece, forged alloy, 45mm
- Handlebars Specialized, 7050 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 27mm rise, 800mm width
- Grips Specialized Trail Grips
- Front Brake SRAM Code R, 4-piston caliper, hydraulic disc, 200mm
- Rear Brake SRAM Code R, 4-piston caliper, hydraulic disc, 200mm
- Pedals Specialized Dirt
- Seat Binder Alloy, 34.9mm
- Frame M5 alloy, Style-Specific DH Geometry, BSA threaded BB, full internal cable routing with option for full external brake, 148mm rear spacing, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 200mm of travel