Commencal (Andorra) - Press Release: Discreetly Powerful.
It seemed inconceivable for us to have one without the other. The META POWER range is now composed of two platforms: the 29 and the SX (in 27.5). The name SX refers to the legendary COMMENCAL platform which has always been known for its downhill capabilities.
The POWER SX is the fiery POWER of the range. A bike made to make maximum laps on-board, smash berms, jump high and shred the steep parts of any track!
The POWER 29 is pure performance. A beast on technical climbs with a disconcerting downhill ability. It's an ally to the person who climbs for their descents. It will help the rider through difficult sections which makes it easier to find flow in places there shouldn't be any!
For 2020, the META POWER goes internal on the battery front, but this is not the only evolution. Far from it in fact. Thanks to the introduction of an internal Shimano battery with compact dimensions, we were able to work on a highly redesigned platform that conserves what makes the META POWER's DNA.
This POWER is above all a META!
The BM-E8035 (the model code for this new Shimano battery) allows us to maintain a satisfactory weight distribution, a key point in relation to keeping a bike dynamic and easy to manoeuvre in any circumstances.
Because of the battery's low position on/in the down tube, we use a long shock with a large stroke to vary the progressiveness of our suspension system.
In concrete terms, the META POWER has a controlled progressivity. This results in two main major characteristics:
- The bike is dynamic, it's easy to move and provides a very good feeling of tyre-to-ground contact.
- The bike is comfortable during the suspension travel.
- There is no hard/stiff point, the movement happens smoothly and naturally without consuming too much.
When we decided to create a motorized version of our META, the first thought in terms of the specs was clear; keep the DNA of our bikes. Simply put, a fun bike which is as comfortable and powerful uphill as it is downhill.
To achieve this, we had to find an electrical-assisted system which synced with our frame. We chose a Shimano engine for its technical strengths and reliability. Technically, the Shimano system is excellent. Its capability, engine management and shape are the main pluses.
The compact engine allows us to make a mountain bike as we understand it here at COMMENCAL; with a geometry and kinematic that are not compromised by the size of the engine itself.
The reliability of our bikes is our priority and again the Shimano system scores points. The Japanese giant has a reputation for reliability and the many service centres available around the world are helpful for a smoother after-sales service experience.
The behaviour of the META POWER is as good on the uphills as it is on the downhills. An excellent suspension system is nothing without equally excellent geometry.
More than a fashion or trend, lengthening the front of our bikes meets a need for stability and grip during turns. Progress made on the suspension and the chassis are such that the speeds achieved require this readjustment.
The seat tube angle is very straight. The electrical assistance enables the ability to climb slopes that would be impossible to climb with a conventional bike.
Thanks to this new angle, steep and technical climbs are less tiring. The front wheel remains in contact with the ground more easily and so efforts to attempt to keep the front wheel on the ground are less of a big deal. We conserve this energy to be able to pedal harder, for longer, or to send it a little more downhill.
Easy battery assembly/disassembly (quarter turn screw).
CHANGING THE BATTERY IS ALWAYS EASY.
Charging port on the side of the S/T, no need to disassemble the battery to charge it.
POWER BUTTON EASILY ACCESIBLE ON THE D/T SIDE.
Cable routing revised for easy installation.
INTEGRATED SENSOR IN HANGER, MAGNET ASSEMBLED ON THE DISK FOR MORE RELIABILITY.
- More linear > better feeling of contact between tyre and ground
- More comfortable during travel
- More dynamic
STIFFER TO BETTER ASSOCIATE WITH THE WEIGHT OF EBIKES.
Oversized bearings for increased durability. We use Enduro Bearings throughout the range.
Geometry developed around a 50mm stem (29) for good grip on the front during climbs, which is extended for a better general position (reach: 450mm in M).
Geometry developed around a 40mm stem (SX), for a better downhill feeling, extended for a better overall position (reach: 460mm in M).
IMPROVEMENTS ON THE FINISH:
Dual density injected plastic battery protection; soft part in contact with the frame to fit perfectly, hard plastic for effective protection.
Motor protector: Solid fixation, a protective 'slider' under the engine for where there is less clearance on the track.
Additional plastic housing for a better engine fit/mount.
Improved cable routing
Loads of small parts to guide, protect, etc.
META POWER 29 TEAM:
- FRAME: 2020 META Power 29 (integrated battery), 160mm travel 29'', Alloy 6066, triple butted tubes, T4, T6. Enduro bearings
- SYSTEM: SHIMANO E8000 250 W, 70 Nm
- BATTERY: SHIMANO E8035 500 Wh
- DISPLAY: SHIMANO E8000
- SHOCK: ROCKSHOX SuperDeluxe Ultimate 230 x 60 mm, low speed compression, rebound, lockout
- FORK: ROCKSHOX Lyrik Ultimate, 170mm travel 29", Charger 2 damper, Debonair, rebound, Boost (15 x 110 mm), 51 mm offset
- HEADSET: ACROS Alloy cups ZS44/ZS56 ZS44/ZS56, sealed bearings
- STEM: RIDE ALPHA Freeride, 50 mm 31,8 mm, 0° angle, 2014 alloy
- BAR: RIDE ALPHA, 20 mm rise, 780 mm, 31,8 mm 7050 alloy, double butted
- GRIPS: RIDE ALPHA, DH Grips, black Ultra soft compound, single clamp
- BRAKES: SRAM Code RSC, 200 mm front and rear 4 pistons
- SHIFTERS: SRAM GX Eagle, 12 sp, Single click
- REAR MECH: SRAM XO1 Eagle, 12 sp Red
- BOTTOM BRACKET: SHIMANO
- CRANKS: SHIMANO XT E8050, 165 mm Hollowtech
- CHAINRING: SRAM X-SYNC EAGLE, 34t
- CHAINGUIDE: RIDE ALPHA 34t Shimano Steps specific
- CHAIN: SRAM GX Eagle, 12 sp 118 links
- CASSETTE: SRAM GX Eagle, 12 sp 11-50t
- RIMS: DT SWISS H1700 Spline 32 holes, 30,5 mm inner width, tubeless ready
- HUBS: DT SWISS H1700 Spline 32 holes, 6 bolts, 15 x 110 mm front, 12 x 148 mm rear, XD freehub body
- SPOKES: DT SWISS
- TYRES: SCHWALBE Magic Mary, 29 x 2.35, Front & Rear Super Gravity, Addix Soft compound
- SEATPOST: KINDSHOCK Lev Integra 31.6 mm, Southpaw alloy lever, 125 mm on S, 150 mm on M, 175 mm on L and XL
- SADDLE: FABRIC Scoop Flat Elite Team Edition, crmo rails
- WEIGHT: -
- PEDALS INCLUDED: Yes
- ACCESSORIES: RIDE ALPHA CNC Alloy pedals, motor protector, chainstay protector, seatstay protector, battery charger, user manual
- META POWER bikes are delivered with Shimano Europlug (CEE 7/7 norm) battery charger, a plug adapter is necessary for customers living in countries using different standards.
- COLOUR: Boxxer Red / Chalk grey Shiny clear coat