Orange Bikes (United Kingdom) - Press Release: The Alpine Evo is hard to classify, it isn’t an out and out Enduro bike, it’s more versatile than that, but given a chance it will dominate any trail bike in challenging and aggressive terrain. This new addition to the range is an 'Alpine' model in every sense of the word, but we have updated the geometry to perform in more varied situations and focused on the bike’s ride quality rather than the suspension's travel numbers.
The 160mm front and 155mm of rear suspension strikes a balance between too much and too little. Structural and layout changes to the frame allow this model to have the most progressive suspension of any Alpine model to date, making the bike more playful and agile while providing more support through the entire range of travel.
The signature Orange Evo geometry with its longer swingarm, steeper seat tube angle and roomier front centre all lead to a longer wheel base and stability at speed. The Alpine Evo has an eagerness to jump and pop but doesn’t shy away from steep technically terrain.
With over two decades of fabricating and refining our own custom formed aluminium monocoque frames under our belts, Orange has developed the ideal balance of pedalling efficiency and shock performance whilst maintaining the compliance to ensure optimal grip whilst cornering. This new design has allowed us to achieve these traits by using thinner, lighter cross sectioned tubes all manufactured in house. The swingarm now better resists twisting under pedal loads whilst maintaining the lateral flex that gives grip when the bike is leant over.
FEA (finite element analysis) has been used extensively throughout this frame's development. Significant structural design features in the swingarm meant we needed to be sure of the chassis’ integral strength. The new design form has allowed us to fine-tune the lateral and longitudinal stiffness beyond the levels that we have achieved before.
The result of lowering the non-drive-side chainstay, with better integration of the bearing housings, along with revised tube thicknesses, has resulted in a 20% increase in longitudinal stiffness and a 15% increase in overall strength compared tor previous construction methods. This improved stiffness ratio aids pedal efficiency through a reduction in twisting and enhances shock performance, all without increasing weight.
The frame’s asymmetric bearing housing means we can use a neutral pivot location with less drivetrain/suspension interaction, allowing the bike to pedal smoothly through the choppiest of terrain.
For all its ‘alpine’ capability, this Evo model never feels like you are over-biked, It’s ready for anything whether that’s a quick local spin or a tough week in the Alps. The combination of great geometry with refined kinematics and structural design enhancements means you’ll keep going back for more time and time again.
Frame features at a glance:
- Brand New for 2022 Custom Formed Monocoque 6061-T6 aluminium frame
- Designed and built in Britain
- 5 year frame warranty with Limited Lifetime Crash Replacement
- Low position pivot – neutral suspension feel
- New Aggressive Evo geometry optimised for 160mm front/155mm rear travel
- New Progressive suspension kinematics.
- New New asymmetric swing arm design with greater strength and lateral rigidity.
- Off-set pivot for chainring clearance
- Geometry for reduced offset fork
- New Improved dropout with UDH gear hanger
- Boost 148 rear hub spacing
- New Top tube accessory mounts
- Bottle cage mounts under downtube
- Internal cable/hose routing
Alpine Evo LE - Launch Edition:
The Alpine Evo will initially be available as a special UK only LE (Launch Edition) spec in limited numbers. Other models will become available at a later date. The order of model releases will depend on component availability which we are currently evaluating. So please stay tuned.
This LE model will come in a brand new pearlescent Stealth Green paint finish with a performance component package including:
- RockShox Lyrik Ultimate 160mm Fork
- RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate 230x65 Rear Shock
- Shimano XT 1x12spd drivetrain with Hope Crankset
- Shimano XT 203mm/180mm braking
- SDG 150mm dropper post
- Renthal/Hope/SDG finishing kit
- New Strange Grappler Grips
- Maxxis Minion EXO tyres
- E13 rims /Hope Pro 4 hubs wheelset.