Tirreno Adriatico (Italy) - Press Release: Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin – Fenix) has won the seventh stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico EOLO, seizing his first victory at the ‘Corsa dei Due Mari’ in style. The stage was characterized by a large breakaway of 14 riders. Matteo Fabbro (Bora – Hansgrohe), one of the fourteen to escape, went solo in the closing kms before being caught and overtaken by Van der Poel (also in the original breakaway) just 300 meters from the finish line in a thrilling conclusion to the stage. Ruben Guerreiro (EF Pro Cycling) finished second ahead of Matteo Fabbro.
In the general classification, Simon Yates (Mitchelton – Scott) retains the Maglia Azzurra on the eve of the final individual time trial in San Benedetto del Tronto with a lead of 16 and 39 seconds from Rafal Majka (Bora – Hansgrohe) and Geraint Thomas (Team Ineos) respectively.
- Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin – Fenix) 181km in 4h19’23”, average speed 41.869 km/h
- Ruben Guerreiro (EF Pro Cycling) at 4″
- Matteo Fabbro (Bora – Hansgrohe) s.t.
- Simon Yates (Mitchelton – Scott)
- Rafal Majka (Bora – Hansgrohe) at 16″
- Geraint Thomas (Team Ineos) at 39″
- Aleksandr Vlasov (Astana Pro Team) at 49″
- Fausto Masnada (Deceuninck – Quick-Step) at 57″