UAE Team Emirates (Spain) - Press Release: Spaniard takes first Grand Tour stage win.
It was a day to remember for Marc Soler, who conquers the fifth stage of the Vuelta a Espana after 187.2 km from Irún to Bilbao.
The Catalan was not among the first riders to go on the attack, closing a gap of 1’45” solo, and marking himself as one of the strongest riders on the climbs.
Of the 18 men in the break, they slowly dropped one by one over the last 30km , before Soler made his move on the second ascent of El Vivero climb.
Soler, at first in difficulty just a few kilometers from the second brow of the Alto del Vivero, regained his strength and overtook all his rivals, reaching the GPM first with about ten seconds of advantage.
In the descent, the Spanish rider did not extend his margin, but he still managed to maintain a minimum advantage over the men in pursuit, thus being able to cross the finish line first and raise his hands to the sky.
Results 5th stage:
1. Marc Soler (UAE Team Emirates) 4h15’23 “
2. Daryl Impey (Israel-Premier Tech) +4 ”
3. Fred Wright (Baharain-Victorius) s.t.
General classification after the 5th stage:
1. Rudy Molard (Groupama-FDJ)
2. Fred Wright (Baharain-Victorius) +2 ”
3. Niklas Arndt (Team DSM) + 1’09 ”
17. Joao Almeida (UAE Team Emirates) + 5’02 “